A fun project with no big ambition in mind, this hat was hooked on the go in Stylecraft Special Aran with Wool, in lovely (slightly tweedy) Blue Heather.
As I mentioned in an earlier DIY post, I’m basically a knitter and a visual learner who prefers charts to written instructions. This hat has neither. I only made a brief note on the number of base chains and the increase rhythm in my notebook, and that’s it.
So, according to this note, I began with the base chain of 88 stitches sc-ing in the round with 3 mm hook for the brim, then switched to hdcs increasing by one stitch starting every 10th st, until the hat reached a circumference of 121 stitches. I’m not a big fan of repetitious hdcs, so I began by hooking the flower first, gathering the courage to improvise on the beret.
As it turns out, I made no notes on the decreases (!). As in knitting, I simply relied on my visual instinct or must have been so absorbed in work and just kept at it. Anyway, the decrease section looks really neat considering the fact that this was my first textured crochet hat design.
I’m quite pleased with the outcome – the beret has got texture, is warm and soft, and looks and feels great to wear – I really wish I could send you the finished hat ! 😉
Cheers and have a great weekend everyone xx ❤